Want voluminous, long eyelashes? Struggling with putting on mascara or fake eyelashes? Tired of looking for a good quality product that will last and works for you? Annoyed at the time and money spent finding products, applying them, then trying again when it fails? The struggle is real and you’re not alone. You don’t have to struggle anymore.
Introducing… eyelash extensions.
What are they?
Eyelash extensions are individual lashes that are attached semi-permanently to your existing lashes. These lashes can be made of silk, mink, faux-mink and synthetic materials. They all have a different effect and their availability will depend on your salon.
Why do you need them?
To feel fabulous all day, every day. Eyelash extensions are a great alternative to mascara and fake eyelashes. They allow you to look stunning all day and night without worrying about taking them off. Looking fab all the time means less time needed to put your face on – and more time to sleep or enjoy your breakfast.
What are the risks?
It isn’t always rainbow and unicorns in the world of beauty, everything has a risk. Some potential problems that might occur include:
- Cornea and eyelid irritation and infection: The glue used to put the lashes on could cause irritation and infection of the corneas and eyelids. In extreme cases it could damage your vision or cause your eyelids to swell up.
- Allergic reaction: In rare cases, some people may find they are allergic to the glue or fixing tape used. An allergic reaction could cause irritation and may result in damage done to your natural lashes.
- Ruin your natural lashes: If you are not careful about putting on your eyelash extensions, you could ruin your natural eyelashes. These could be complete losses, or just bald spots for your eyelashes.
- Procedure failure: If the procedure is done incorrectly it can result in mishaps and dangers such as eyes being glued shut. Beauty is pain, right? Well, it doesn’t have to be. The best way you can avoid the above is by visiting a professional and getting their expert advice beforehand.
How long does it last?
Eyelash extensions will last longer than false eyelashes or mascara, but they will need to be replaced every 2-3 weeks depending on where the extension was done. Eyelash extensions can fall out before that though due to a large range of reasons, including:
- Natural lash shedding- Our eyelashes naturally shed. As eyelash extensions are attached to your natural eyelashes, it is normal for the extensions to fall out as the natural lashes replace themselves. Opt for the lighter and finer extensions as they will last longer than the thick and sturdy kinds. The lighter ones are easier for your eyelashes to support.
- Oily skin: Oily skin or oily beauty products can remove the glue used to put the eyelash extensions on.
- Technician error: If the technician who is putting on the lashes for you does not use the right glue, then this can result in your lashes not sticking around for long.
- Picking at or rubbing the eyelashes: Resist the urge. Doing this will only cause them to fall out sooner.
- Sleeping style: If you sleep with your face into a pillow, you will be damaging your lashes and the extensions.
- Not maintaining them: Not taking the steps to care for your long lashes will shorten their lifetime.
- Getting them wet too soon: Usually the salon will tell you to avoid water for 24 hours to allow the glue to dry completely. Hold back the tears when you see how beautiful you look.
How to maintain the look
- Avoid oily beauty products
- Book in for touch ups or infills when needed. This will depend on the kind used but it is usually every 2-3 weeks.
If you suffer from lash envy and want to have fab lashes, eyelash extensions could be just what you are looking for. After all, the eyes are the window to the soul, they deserve to be dressed beautifully!